VEG NON - VEG INDIAN FOODS ANDHRA TAMILNADU

Mutton Biriyani


I sooo love mutton biriyani. My mother completely knows what biriyani is to me. She would make biriyani sometimes just for me. The best part is how we taste-test it. She will get a small plate with the steamingly hot biriyani and she will give a couple of big mouthfuls to me and my sister.. It would just be soooo out-of-the-world !!!

Somehow chicken biriyani just does not give me the flavour I get from mutton biriyani. So since its my comfort food, I am just overlooking the fact that mutton has more fat content.

If you think mutton biriyani is a tedious process, just try this recipe. I am sure you will change your mind.

First things first

* Clean and rinse a cup and half of rice
* Clean and cube a pound of mutton
* Vertically slice one large onion

Throw into the mixie and make a puree with

* one tomato
* half a bunch of cilantro
* two pods garlic
* half an inch ginger

Make a powder with the following

* 3 tsps saunf
* 3 cloves
* 4 cardamom
* 1 inch stick of cinnamon
* 10 peppercorns
* 4 dried red chillies ( add more if you like spicy )

Keep aside

* cleaned bunch of mint
* half tsp garam masala
* two tbl oil

Cooking mutton

* Add water and mutton to pressure cooker. The water should be just below the top of the mutton pieces.
* Cook until 10 whistles keeping the stove in medium high

Putting together

* Heat oil in pressure cooker or pan
* Add onions and saute for 5 minutes
* Add the powder, garam masala and continue sauteing
* Add the puree and continue to saute for another 5 minutes. At this point there should be no liquid in the pan
* Add the mutton pieces ( no water )
* Add the rice and the measure and add the mutton stock ( remaining after cooking the mutton). Ratio is 2:1 liquid:rice.
* Add salt and mix
* Place the mint bunch over the rice and pressuer cook or cook in rice cooker
* Enjoy with raita.

See my other post for instructions regarding cooking biriyani in pressure as well as rice cooker.


Digg Technorati del.icio.us Stumbleupon Reddit Blinklist Furl Spurl Yahoo Simpy

0 comments:

Your Ad Here